12 June 2009

Yo, Yo, Yoberri Yo!


I had been hearing pretty good things about the phenomenon that is frozen yogurt (or froyo, as it's more fondly called) and the sudden influx of stores popping up in and around Chicago. These frozen yogurt chains, with the likes of Pinkberry, Berry Chill, Starfruit, Red Mango, and - as I recently experienced - Lakeview's Yoberri *to name a few* have become the talk of the town *in certain circles.* There was a big craze regarding this froyo "stuff" way back when with the TCBY stores. I believe there were many questions as to the validity of whether or not their items were, in fact, frozen yogurt. Well, I had been meaning to check out Yoberri for quite some time. After hearing so much about it and noticing that it isn't very far down the street from my apartment, I just knew that I would check it out quickly. Well, procrastination prevented that from happening.

That is, until one of my co-workers happened to drive to work (he had his girlfriend's truck and would be going more than half my commute). It just so happened that he was going to Halsted/Diversey - the same intersection where Yoberri is located. I'm not sure how long they have actually occupied the space, but the location is very no-nonsense. There aren't any frills or anything with or about the space. There are a few tables inside - they look more like glass paned wooden display cases on top of stands - only they weren't filled with anything. It's more of a quaint feel.

On to the yogurt ...

Well, I err, uh ... it was umm ... eh ...

There is only a vanilla yogurt, and you choose from an assortment of toppings. I had raspberries, coconut and chocolate chips. I have to say, the toppings were better than the yogurt for me. I'm sorry, well - not really, but it just wasn't all that to me. Perhaps the up-play I received from everyone else caused a great deal of expectation, but it was just OK. Maybe I will check out Berry Chill, it seems to get better praise, or one of the others. We shall see.

Have you had it? Do you agree with my assessment? Have you tried another?

2 comments: