11 March 2010

How Much is the Mega Millions/Powerball now?

So here it is - 20 minutes to 2 in the am - and I'm sitting here ... stressing. At this hour, there's really nothing on TV and so I'm trying to FIND something on the computer to occupy my time. I know the moment I lay down in bed I'll end up staring at the ceiling, wall or the insides of my eyelids. None of which sounds like a very appealing alternative to sitting here, with my laptop in front of me, staring at the nothingness on the television - all-the-while attempting to miraculously have some sort of epiphany that will cure my stresses and worries. I'm pretty sure my eyes will start seeing ABC's "World News Now" shortly (I think that's what comes on when nothing else is on television). So I'll watch Jeremy Hubbard and Vinita Nair tell me the SAME stories OVER AND OVER AND OVER again as if there isn't enough news to warrant changing the content every hour. It's funny to watch them attempt to give "filler" banter between stories (or about stories) as though it's the first time they've ever heard this information before. It all looks forced.

Anyway ...

I was feeling pretty good until I realized (only a mere two or so hours ago) that I didn't have the money in my account that I should have. Typically, the direct deposit has hit my account before I wake up on Wednesday mornings and the only time this is different is when I forget to certify on Mondays. As most of you know, I have been receiving unemployment insurance (UI) benefits since I lost my job last summer. I know I'm one in a severely large number of people who are receiving UI and an even greater number of those who don't have work, period, so I won't complain about the lack of jobs or anything of that nature. I will say that I have grown dependant upon this bi-weekly fraction (by comparison to my former pay) of income. Not seeing it in my account, immediately brings forth thoughts of concern and "what if...". With all the different government dilemmas surrounding unemployment, economy, and budgetary deficits, one really has to step back and consider the possibility that they could join the ranks of individuals and families attempting to get by with no income.

I promised that I would attempt to not allow this to stress me out. I told Hifey, before he went to sleep, that I would not allow this to get me down and that I would just keep my focus (as I have been) on looking for school. He reminded me that we have a lot of positive things going on right now - a lot of reasons to rejoice and be glad. I agree with him and didn't want to simply placate him but my mind had already begun it's spiral of "OMG!" and "WHAT IF...?" and "WHAT AM I GONNA DO?" thoughts. That's why I wanted to get this out of my head ... if I can get the thoughts out, it'll be easier to get back to my optimistic thought processes. There are a lot of different possibilities as to why I didn't get paid. Many of which have to deal with the fact that I just moved and also switched the account in which the deposit should have been made.

No matter ... I'm feeling better ... In somewhat unrelated news, I heard Bill Gates is no longer the richest man anymore ... all those billionaires out there make me sick. Not that I am hating or anything ... it just seems like some donations could be made by all these billionaires to those without and some economies could be bounced back in rubber band fashion.

I think it's time for me to win the Mega Millions or the PowerBall

1 comment: