13 September 2009

From 'Sex, Lies and Videotape' to Sex, OMG and ... WTF?!

I'm torn!

I see one side ... while also seeing another!

My thoughts are circling quite quickly through my head regarding a German ad campaign just brought to my attention. I'm going to attempt to give you all my thoughts on the subject but I would, first, like for you to see the video in question. It raises many different emotions, feelings, questions, thoughts and concerns. Before you view this, I would like to say that it is graphic in nature. It does depict sexual acts and this video is not likely suitable for children or to those who might find offense in sexual matter. I recently added the 18+ stamp to my blog, not for my own content but because I know that some of the blogs I follow tend to be of a graphic nature. I didn't think that I would need it for myself, but - I'm glad I changed it now.

Many of you know that TV in other countries is looked at and censored a lot differently than it is here in the US. These ads would likely not make it past the FCC cuts and so I implore you to look at this with eyes wide open - although you might blush and want to cover your face. It is extremely NSFW but is necessary for a good piece of healthy debate on the subject. I will follow the video with my own thoughts on it and welcome your comments, questions and concerns thereafter. I do want to respond to any and all comments so please bring on the debate. Without further ado ... take a gander.

AIDS Is A Mass Murderer from Laborarbeiter on Vimeo.



WOW, right?!

We might as well state the obvious facts first: The ad is extremely successful in being provocative, attention-grabbing, sensational, etc, etc. It causes an immediate reaction of some sort (probably due to the sexual nature) and then it might take you somewhere else. You may begin to rethink your initial reaction as you watch more of it. Thirty-Six seconds into the video, your total frame of mind changes as you realize this sex-clad mini-movie is about something more than just sex. Then you get the caption "AIDS is a Mass Murderer ... Protect Yourself!" and you get a glimpse of the point they are trying to drive home.

Truth: Sex grabs your attention and causes you to take a look at what's being displayed.
Question: Why doesn't this sexual encounter ever show a condom to drive the point?

Truth: Correlating AIDS to Adolf Hitler will likely make you think twice.
Question: What does Adolf Hitler's involvement really make you think?

It's true, sex sells. When we're talking about a STD/STI, it's obvious that the best way to drive it home is to utilize sex. The virus IS transmitted during sex. This is not disputed. Adolf Hitler automatically makes you think back to The Holocaust and his quest for racial purity. You're automatically lead to recalling the many people killed and placed into concentration camps. These are the successful accomplishments the designers of this advertisement are seeking. But does this correlation of his mass murdering to the deaths caused by HIV and AIDS drive the point or create a larger problem?

I look at this advertisement and question the ostracism caused. This way of thinking lends a hand in taking us back into the age of thinking those who are carriers of the disease to be the enemy of those without. They are now to be likened with an evil dictator. The truth behind this: there are many who have contracted the disease and do not care about those who might contract the disease from them. They do have un-protected sex and might even seek out transmitting it to others. On this point, I agree with the ad. I will venture to say, however, that the vast majority of those who have the disease do live their lives responsibly and make their partners aware and act accordingly. It (the ad) leans to the thought that there are good people who are guilty of committing the crime of willingly killing others. This ad somehow seems a bit destructive to those who are trying to do the right thing and it's motives, although seemingly genuine, can be misconstrued as blatantly counter-productive

One of the ad's creators says, "Basically, we wanted to give the virus a face and this cannot be a beautiful face ... that's why we hit on Adolf Hitler. (Amongst others - see the end of this blog for those pictures)" I believe there is an apparent level complacency regarding this disease that has been developing over the years and the level of awareness has decreased. This brings about the need for measures we haven't seen previously - the old means may not be as effective anymore since we have made strides in medicine to keep the disease at bay. Many feel as though it's just something they can get and they will be fine to live their lives as they had always. And so this sort of shocking, in-your-face, new age way of bringing attention might be necessary.

I suppose my thoughts on this issue ride delicately along a tightrope as if I am an elephant on a unicycle. I have yet to fall to one side and make a definitive decision on which more compels me. I have many different things that I wanted to discuss yet the length of this post scares me into belief that people may not read it and therefore the discussion will not be had. This is an important debate and the need for constant debate is why the ad was called for by Germany's Regenbogen (German for 'Rainbow'). So if this is not discussed, the ad, the need for awareness, and this blog are all moot points.


I would love to hear your thoughts and points on this topic and I open the floor for discussion. This topic affects each and every one of us in one way and/or another. I will likely bring up more of my thoughts as the discussion continues

Ciao for Now,
VWayne

EDIT: I forgot to add the pictures from the non-TV spots they are circulating as well:


Adolf Hitler Poster

Saddam Hussein Poster

Joseph Stalin Poster


I would also like for you to read through all of the comments posted before your own as the debate would be better served if we are actually participating in a full dialogue.

5 comments:

  1. as i said before, its just a bit extreme but i think it was to get people's attention because it seems like nothing else is working. It just sucks to be honest, but people still have the attitude that nothing can happen to them!

    *della!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so sure their thoughts are along the lines of "nothing can happen" but moreso "when/if it does happen, I will be fine with a 'cocktail' of meds."

    The reality is that it takes a toll on one's life and this mentality is just not looking, a great deal, into the mental state following diagnosis. It also doesn't take into consideration that not all medicines are best for everyone and, just because your friend is taking this set of pills and is seemingly "fine", doesn't mean the same will be the case for you. Many of the drugs can make one feel sicker than they might have been before taking them.

    As far as the extreme nature of the ad, sure, sensationalism is there, but how effective is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vwayne, I'm not really sure if it is effective at all--that is, if the message is about safe sex, or AIDS, or about bringing Hitler look-alikes home at 2:33 in the morning. I was more shocked and disgusted by Hitler's picture at the end more than anything else. I walked away thinking about the Holocaust, less about AIDS.

    Also, I believe that people are increasingly beginning to see HIV/AIDS as a real issue that crosses social, economic, and cultural lines. I hardly ever meet people who take this epidemic lightly. I do, however, still hear people who are mal-informed about transmission and symptoms.

    I'm not sure who the ad was targetting, but if it's intended audience was black males, for example, the ad would be garbage. I'd presume this was for Europeans and I'm not sure what they would think of it--with the Hitler reference and all. Maybe it would work in America if you put Bush's or Hussein's picture on the male.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extreme but needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I understand the motive and the tones used. very well assembled and the posters wasn't overkill. I had to do research on Stalin tho... My history was a lil dusty.

    ReplyDelete